Chief of Craniofacial and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
Craniofacial Team of Texas
Craniofacial Team of Texas
11412 Bee Cave Road, Suite 300
Austin, TX 78738
Hours for scheduled appointments:
Monday – Friday 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Patrick K. Kelley, MD – Biography
After completing medical school and plastic surgery residency at Baylor College of Medicine in the Texas Medical Center, Dr. Kelley completed his fellowship in craniofacial surgery at the University of Washington/Seattle Children’s Hospital program under Joe Gruss, MD and Richard Hopper, MD. He returned to Texas in 2005 to start the first Cleft-Craniofacial Program in Central Texas in partnership with Children’s Hospital of Austin, becoming Dell Children’s Medical Center in 2007 with the opening of the current hospital.
Along with Todd Maxson, MD and Tim George, MD, he founded Pediatric Specialty Services (PSS) in 2007 intentioned to develop the first multidisciplinary tertiary-level medical programs in this region, one of which was the Craniofacial Program of Central Texas. This unique, patient-focused group was organized according to medical disease and delivery platforms, as opposed to medical specialties which was believed to be elemental to developing and pushing the standard of care in the treatment of complex disease in the region. This group is responsible for developing the system, recruiting and organizing medical providers in the region that allowed for the certification of Dell Children’s Medical Center as the second pediatric hospital in the state of Texas as a Level One Trauma Center, certified by the American College of Surgeons. Complex programs like Epilepsy and Neuro-oncology also developed out of PSS. The group grew from a trauma surgeon, a craniofacial surgeon, and neurosurgeon to roughly twenty five medical providers (seven specialties) and twenty midlevel providers from 2007-2014. It continues to play a major role in complex medical programs, elevating the standard of care, housing graduate medical education, and pushing the value of provider-hospital partnerships to solve problems for patients and innovate the delivery platform.
When the region began to expand in 2008, the need for an adult Level One Trauma Center became evident, but Brackenridge Hospital lacked adequate plastic surgery resources to service such a system. Dr. Kelley recruited a few key plastic surgeons from the region, James Cullington, MD and Sanjay Sharma, MD, and a few fellowship trained plastic surgeons just out of training into a new group, The Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery of Central Texas (IRPSCT). IRPSCT endeavored to develop medical programs similar to PSS, focusing on adults. Currently, its ten plastic surgeons provide expert care in hand/upper extremity, lower extremity salvage, breast reconstruction, complex wounds, adult craniofacial trauma and head and neck reconstruction, and general plastic surgery. They support the surgeons and severely injured patients through the trauma system throughout the region.
Dr. Kelley continues to strive to develop medical delivery platforms that make medicine easier for the patient to interface, more customer friendly, cost and outcome transparent.
During his off-time, Dr. Kelley enjoys spending time with his 4 children (Stephan, Rhett, Maddie, and Jacob) and wife Julie doing outdoor activities.
Patrick K Kelley, MD– Curriculum Vitae
- Associate Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Dell Medical School, Austin, TX –2014-Present
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery, UT Medical Branch, Galveston, TX-2009-Present
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery, UT Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX-2011-2014
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas, Austin, TX-2009-Present
- Chairman of Board, Institute of Reconstructive Surgery, Seton System, Central Texas, Austin, TX-2008-Present
- CEO, Institute of Reconstructive Surgery, Seton System, Central Texas, Austin, TX-2008-Present
- Section Chief, Plastic & Craniofacial Surgery, Pediatric Specialty Services, Seton System, Austin, TX-2007-Present
- Secretary and Vice Treasurer, Board of Directors, Pediatric Specialty Services, Austin, TX-2007-Present
- Service Chief, Plastic, Craniofacial and Reconstructive Surgery, Dell Children’s Medical Center, Austin, TX-2007-2013
- Service Chief, Plastic, Craniofacial and Reconstructive Surgery, Children’s Hospital of Austin, Austin, TX-2005-2007
Postgraduate Specialty Training
Craniofacial Fellowship, University Washington, Seattle Children’s Hospital, Seattle, WA-2004-2005
Plastic Surgery Residency
Baylor College of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals and Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston, TX-1998-2005
MD, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX-1998
Honors and Awards
- AO North America, Advanced Course Research Presentation Award- 2004
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons, Basic Science Paper, First Place- 2002
- Baylor Plastic Surgery Outstanding Student Award- 1998
- Baylor Alumni Academic Scholarship- 1998
- Alpha Omega Alpha- 1997
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, Education Committee, 2012-Present
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons Finance Committee, 2012-Present
- American Society of Craniofacial Surgeons, Board of Directors, 2013-Present
- National Board of Medical Examiners-Part I, II, III-Pass
- Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery, 2007
- American Society of Plastic Surgery, 2007-Present
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, 2005-Present
- American Society of Craniofacial Surgery, 2005-Present
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Society, 2005-Present
- American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery, 2005-Present
- Plastic Surgery Research Council, 2005-Present
- Texas Medical Association, 2005-Present
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2005-Present
- Austin Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2005-Present
State of Texas, 2005
Service and Leadership
- Founder, Craniofacial Center of Central Texas, Austin, TX, 2005
- Founder, Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, Austin, TX, 2008
- Founder, Pediatric Specialty Services, Austin, TX, 2007
- Founder, Austin Craniofacial Surgery Fellowship, Austin, TX, 2011
- Mission Surgeon, Austin Smiles, TX, 2007,2008, 2009
- Co-founder, Camp Amigo, Austin, TX, 2011
- Co-founder and partner of Pediatric Specialty Services, LLC, 2007-Present
- Founder and partner of Institute of Reconstructive Microsurgery, 2008-Present
- Employed Surgeon, Austin Medical Education Program, 2005-2007
- Texas Children’s Hospital, Department of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology-1992-1994 Molecular Genetics: Role of Viruses in etiology of hematologic malignancies Ken McClain, MD, PhD
- Principal Investigator A phases llb, partially-blinded, randomized, active comparator-controlled study to evaluate the pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, safety and tolerability of aprepitant in pediatric patients for the prevention of post operative nausea and vomiting
- Principal Investigator Development and validation of quantitative measures of facial appearance in healthy Hispanic children
- Principal Investigator The use of orthodontic appliances in pediatric maxillofacial trauma
- Principal Investigator Posterior cranial vault expansion using distraction osteogenesis. Evolution of technique, devices, indications, and early outcomes
- Co-Investigator Efficacy of Le Fort I distraction osteogenesis: use of adaptable partial orthodontic borne midface distractor and Virtual Surgical Planning
- Co-Investigator Low dose craniofacial CT/rapid access MRI protocol in craniosynotosis patients: decreased radiation exposure and cost savingsCo-Investigator A multicenter, controlled, multidose, multicenter, adaptive phase II/III study in infants with proliferating infantile hemangiomas requiring systemic therapy to compare four regimen of propranolol (1 or 3 mg/kg for 3 or 6 months) to placebo (double blind)
- Co-Investigator Patterns of velopharyngeal dysfunction and surgical Closed management in velocardiofacial syndrome
Granting Agency: American Burn Association
Title/Purpose: Incorporation of Skin Grafts-Cellular Level
Grant Amount: $50,000
Time Period: Feb 2003
Granting Agency: KLS-Martin
Grant Amount: $40,000
Time Period: 2009-2014
Value-based delivery of Medical Care with special interest in Complex Medical Care Wound healing with special focus on early revascularization and inosculation
Virtual Surgery and its Clinical Translation
Mission Surgeon, Austin Smiles, Austin, TX
Camp Amigo, Austin, TX
Bibliography of Patrick K. Kelley, MD
Articles in Peer Reviewed Journals:
- Yee KS, Combs PD, Kelley PK, George TM, Harshbarger RJ. Resorption of PDLLA Plates as a Nidus for Recurrent Langerhans Cell Histiosytosis. Pediatric Neurosurg. 2014 June 5. PMID: 24902626
- Lim YH, Ovejero D, Sugarman JS, Deklotz CM, Maruri A, Eichenfield LF, Kelley PK, Juppner H, Gottschalk M, Tifft CJ, Gafni RI, Boyce AM, Cowen EW, Bhattacharyya N, Guthrie LC, Gahl, WA, Golas G, Loring EC, Overton JD, Mane SM, Lifton RP, Levy ML, Collins MT, Choate KA. Multi- lineage somatic activating mutations in HRAS and NRAS cause mosaic cutaneous and skeletal lesions, elevated FGF23, and hypophosphatemia. Hum Mol Genet. 2013 Sep 4. PMID: 24006476 (Epub) 2014 Jan 15; 23(2):397-407. PMCID: PMC386935
- Khosla RK, McGregor J, Kelley, PK., Gruss J. Contemporary concepts for the bilateral cleft lip and nasal repair. Seminars in Plastic Surgery 2012; 26(04):156-163.
- Henry SL, Weinfeld AB, Sharma SK, George TM, Kelley PK. The reliability and advantages of the sentinel vein as a microsurgical recipient vessel. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2012 Apr 30. PMID: 22547258
- Henry S, Weinfeld AB, Sharma S, Kelley PK. External doppler monitoring for free flaps through negative pressure dressings. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2011 May;27(4):215-218. PMID: 21337298
- Hopper R, Sandercoe G, Woo A, Watts R, Kelley PK, Ettinger R, Saltzman. Computed tomographic analysis of temporal maxillary stability and pterygomaxillary generate formation following pediatric Le Fort III distraction advancement. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Nov; 126(5):1665-1674
- Kelley PK, Mata C, Da Silveira A. Chronic temporomandibular joint dislocation by mandibular distraction in a patient with Melnick-Needles syndrome. J Cranio Surg. 2010 Jan;21:174-176.
- Kelley PK, Hopper R, Gruss J. Evaluation and treatment of zygomatic fractures. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007 Dec;120(7 Suppl 2):5S-15S.
- Kelley PK, Crawford M, Higuera S, Hollier L. Two Hundred Ninety-Four Consecutive Facial Fractures in an Urban Trauma Center: Lessons Learned. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005 Sep;116(3):42e-49e.
- Kelley PK, Gordley K, Higuera S, Hicks J, Hollier L. Assessing the long term retention and permanency of acellular cross-linked porcine dermal collagen as a soft tissue substitute. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005 Nov;116(6):1780-1784. Personal and Confidential- May only share with permission 6
- Weinfeld AB, Kelley PK, Yuksel E, Tiwari P, Hsu P, Choo J, Hollier LH. Circumferential negative- pressure dressing (VAC) to bolster skin grafts in the reconstruction of the penile shaft and scrotum. Ann Plast Surg. 2005 Feb;54(2):178. PMID: 15655470
- Kelley PK, Evans G, Friedman J. Use of the common carotid artery as a recipient vessel for microvascular anastomosis. Plast Recon Surg. 2003 (accepted with revision).
- Kelley PK, Klebuc M, Hollier L. Complex midface reconstruction: maximizing contour and bone graft survival utilizing periosteal free flaps. J Craniofac Surg. 2003 Sep;14(5):779-782.
- Kelley PK, Klebuc M. Hollier L. Complex midface reconstruction: maximizing contour and bone graft survival utilizing periosteal free flaps. J Craniofac Surg. 2003 May;14(3):413-416.
- Kelley PK, Hollier L. Stal S. Otoplasty: evaluation, technique, and review. J Craniofac Surg. 2003 Sep;14(5):643-653.
- Hollier L, Kelley PK. Biomaterials in orbital reconstruction. Curr Tech Plas Surg, 2003.
- Hollier L, Kelley PK, Babigumira E, Potochney J, Taylor T. Minimally invasive Le Fort III
- distraction. J Craniofac Surg. 2002;13(1):44.
- McClain K, Estrov Z, Raju U, Kelley PK, Aggarwal A. Ebstein Barr Virus EBNA-2 gene expression enhances lymphotoxin production by B-lymphocytes. Methods. 1997;11:83-87. PMID: 8990093
- Murray J, Kelley PK, McClain K. Adenovirus and childhood immune thrombocytopenic purpura.
- Am J Hematol. 1994;47(1):65. PMID: 8042623
- Murray J, Kelley PK, Hogrefe W, McClain K. Childhood Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura: Association with Human Parvovirus B19 Infection. Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 1994 Nov;16(4):314-319. PMID: 7978048
- Kelley PK, McClain K. Respiratory Contamination of PCR by Herpes Virus 6. Am J Hematol. 1994;47:325-327. PMID: 7977307
- Hollier L, Jr. and Kelley, PK. Soft Tissue and Skeletal Injuries of the Face. In: Grabb and Smith’s
- Plastic Surgery, 6th ed. 2006. 7th ed. 2012.
- Kelley PK, Gruss J, Hopper R. Trauma Definitive Care Phase: Maxillofacial Injuries. In: Surgery: Scientific Principles and Practice, 2nd ed. 2001.
- Kelley PK, Hollier L, Taylor T, and Stal, S. Secondary Bone Grafting in Alveolar Bone Grafting. In: Principles of Plastic Surgery, eds. McCarthy, Butros. Personal and Confidential- May only share with permission 7
- Kelley PK (September 2013) “Enhancing the Process of Complex Craniofacial Reconstruction: Lessons Learned in 94 Cases Using Preoperative Computer Modeling” International Society of Craniofacial Surgery -15th Biennial Congress, Jackson Hole, WY.
- Buba A, Hahn S, Combs PD, Kelley PK, Harshbarger RJ (May 2013) “Describing Varying Patterns of Velopharyngeal Movement in Patients with 22Q Deletion Using Nasopharyngoscopic Exam”
- 12th International Congress on Cleft Lip/Palate and Related Craniofacial Anomalies, Lake Buena
- Vista, FL.
- Combs PD, Kelley PK, George TM, Harshbarger RH (Oct 2012) “Expanding Indications and Device Refinement in Posterior Cranial Vault Distraction Osteogenesis” Plastic Surgery The Meeting, New Orleans , LA.
- Harshbarger RJ, Kelley PK, Leake D, George TM (Oct 2010) “Low Dose Craniofacial CT/
- Rapid Access MRI Protocol in Craniosynostosis Patients: Decreased Radiation Exposure and
- Cost Savings” Central Texas Clinical Research Forum, Austin, TX
- Lee J, Shrestha Y, Muralidhar G, Guidry A, Da Silveira A, Kelley PK, Markey M (Oct 2010)
- “Quantitative Models of Facial Attractiveness for Pediatric Population” Central Texas
Clinical Research Forum, Austin, Texas
- Higginbotham N, Breen M, Kelley PK, George TM (2009) “Failure of bone regrowth after craniectomy for sagittal synostosis” Central Texas Clinical Research Forum: Collaborations in Research & Education, Austin, TX.
Papers and Continuing Education Programs Presented
- Harshbarger RH, Hopper R, Kelley PK. “Posterior Cranial Vault Distraction Osteogenesis.” ASMS News Teleconference. 2013
- Kelley PK. Complex Primary and Secondary Facial Trauma, Grand Rounds, University of Texas
- Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas,2012
- Kelley PK. Craniosynostostis and Treatment of CF Syndromic Patients, Grand Rounds, Scott & White Hospital, Temple, Texas, 2007
- Kelley PK. Grand Rounds Brackenridge Hospital, Austin, TX, 2006
- Kelley PK. Texas State Assembly of Surgical Technologists, 2006. Personal and Confidential- May only share with permission 8
- Kelley PK, Hopper R. Cephalometric Changes Following External LeFort III Midface Distraction in Syndromic Pediatric Patients. AO North America Advanced Course, Whistler, BC 2005
Invited Lectures at Symposia and Conferences Presented
- Virtual Surgical Planning (March 2015) Baylor College of Medicine, BCM Plastic Surgery Resident Education, Houston, TX.
- Little Adults-Pediatric Facial Fractures (May 2014) Austin Trauma and Critical Care Conference, Austin, TX.
- Human Resource Issues in Different Practice Settings-Panelist (Sept 2013) TSPS Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX.
- Use of ICP Monitoring for Clinical Decision Making in Craniosynostosis (April 2012) American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association, San Jose, CA.
- Use of the extended lateral nasal wall flap improves primary cleft lip results and eliminates long term nasal lining deficiency (April 2011) American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Post Surgical Oral Appliance for Severe Opening Restriction (March 2010) American Cleft Palate- Craniofacial Association Annual Meeting, Ft Worth, TX.
- Use of 3D Virtual Planning Software and Free Fibula flap in premaxillary reconstruction of a patient with bilateral cleft lip and palate (March 2010) American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association Annual Meeting, Ft Worth, TX.
- Post Surgical Oral Appliance for Severe Opening Restriction: A Report of Two Cases (September
- 2009) The International Confederation for Cleft Lip and Palate and Related Craniofacial Anomalies Meeting, Fortaleza, Brazil.
- General Principles of Midface Trauma and Reconstruction (2008) Synthes Craniofacial Trauma
- Symposium, Austin Area American Organization of Registered Nurses, Austin, TX.
- Minimally Invasive Le Fort III Distraction (2005) American Society of Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting.
- Two Hundred and Ninety-Four Consecutive Facial Fractures in an Urban Trauma Center: Lessons Learned (2005) American Society of Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting.
- Use of a Passenger Graft during Le Fort III Distraction (2005) American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Temporal 3-D CT Analysis of Pterygomaxillary Generate Post Le Fort III Distraction Personal and Confidential- May only share with permission 9 (2005) American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Minor Suture Synostosis as a Cause of Anterior Plagiocephaly (2005) American Cleft Palate- Craniofacial Association, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Long Term Retention of Porcine Dermal Grafts: The Effect of Cross-linking (2003) Plastic Surgery Education Foundation: Senior Resident’s Conference, Milwaukee, WI.
- Long Term Retention of Porcine Dermal Grafts: The Effect of Cross-linking (2003) Meeting of the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons, Austin, TX.
- Preliminary experience with periosteal free flaps: An early experience (2003) American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery Annual Meeting, Palm Springs, FL.
- Successful use of the common carotid artery as a recipient vessel for microvascular anastomosis (January 1998) American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery Annual Meeting, Scottsdale, AZ.
Media Gallery of Patrick K. Kelley, MD
Click on the image to enlarge and the back arrow to return and to gallery.